Château Beausejour Duffau Lagarrosse
Classification: First Growth (Premier Grand Cru Classé B)
The Château Beauséjour Duffau Lagarrosse was once part of an estate alongside Château Beau Séjour Bécot which was divided into the two Châteaux in 1869. It’s name is commonly shortened to Château Beauséjour Duffau. The château lies on the limestone plateau in the Côtes of Saint Emilion, neighbouring Châteaux Canon and Beau Séjour Bécot. Château Beauséjour Duffau has an ancient history and its vineyards were once tended by the monks of the Church of Saint Martin when the land was named Peycoucou (the hill where the cuckoo sings).
In 1787 General Jacques de Carle renamed the property to Beauséjour (which translates as 'Beautiful Days') perhaps to leave to posterity the happy memories of his stay there. The ulterior motives were possibly commercial or marketing ones. Although he came from a military background, he was commercially-minded and no doubt saw the advantage in creating an attractive-sounding label.
The General died without an heir and the Beauséjour estate came to Pierre-Paulin Ducarpe and was divided in 1869 between his two children. The daughter wed Duffau-Lagarosse and received what became Château Beauséjour Duffau Lagarrosse and his son inherited the half which was sold in 1924 to Dr. Fagouet, altering the name to Château Beauséjour Dr Fagouet. This estate received its current name Beau Séjour Bécot after it was acquired in 1969 by Michel Bécot.
Château Beauséjour Duffau has been in the property of the same Duffau Lagarrosse family for nine generations. It was organized as a company (a “societé civile”) in 1963 with 40 shareholders from the extended descendants of the family. This estate is composed of the family house close to the ancient Saint Martin church (11th century) that overlooks the vineyard.
The vineyard is small – covering only 17 acres – which sits on the chalky limestones and clays of the south west slopes of the plateau falling away to the hill’s foot with Château Angelus in the distance . The grapes grown are 65% Merlot, 25% Cabernet Franc and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon. The twin sister Château Beau Séjour Becot is on the top of the hill. Château Beauséjour Duffau is considered the better of the two and is one of the Premier Grand Cru Classés of Saint Emilion.
Château Beauséjour Duffau’s wines are classic, complex and are one of the most full bodied First Growth Saint Emilion’s. They are powerful wines with flavours of firm black fruits, roasted coffee, tar and toffee. The wines age very well and are very well balanced and structured.
Owner: The Heritiers Duffau-Lagarrosse
Château Website: www.beausejourhdl.fr
Oenologist: Stéphane Derenoncourt/Nicolas Thienpont