Classification: Second Wine of Château Ausone
Chapelle d'Ausone is the Second Wine of Château Ausone and takes its name from the Madeleine Chapel which sits in its grounds. Centuries ago Ausone used to lie in the hamlet of La Madeleine, a dependency of the parish of Saint Martin de Mazerat, which was incorporated into Saint Emilion in 1790.
Château Ausone is one of only 2 wines, along with Château Cheval Blanc, to be ranked Premier Cru Classé A – which is the highest of the Saint Emilion Classification. Ausone is perched on the hillside outside Saint Emilion with south facing steeply terraced vineyards. Ausone is carved into the limestone hill and sits upon 3 troglodytic caves, the smallest of which is used as the wine cellar which ages the wines in a perfectly stable atmosphere. The Château takes its name from the 4th century Roman poet Decimus Magnus Ausonius who was famous for his writing on early Roman viticulture and it is believed that Château Ausone stands upon the foundations of his villa Lucaniac.
Only 3 families have owned Ausone – the Lescours family in the 13th century, the Chatonnet-Cantenat family during the 17th century and now their descendants the Vauthier family. In 1995 the Vauthier family gained sole ownership of Château Ausone and Alain Vauthier controls all aspects of the winemaking. Château Ausone's vineyards cover nearly 18 acres and lie on sands and chalky clay above a bed rock of limestone. The average age of the vines is 50 years and the grapes planted are 50% Merlot and 50% Cabernet Franc.
The wines of Chapelle d'Ausone are impressive, full bodied and rich. They have notes of black cherries, cedar, figs, plums, liquorice, minerals and chocolate. They require 10 years of cellaring before approaching maturity and have good ageing potential.
Owner: Famille Vauthier
Château Website: www.chateau-ausone.fr
Oenologist: Michel Rolland