Château Duhart Milon
Classification: Fourth Growth (4ème Cru)
Château Duhart Milon is named after the Sieur of Duhart, pirate and gun-runner to Louis XIV, who owned this land, and from the name of the little hamlet of Milon which stands on a knoll separating this vineyard from that of Château Lafite. The “pirate’s house” on the Pauillac port existed up to the 1950’s, and inspired the label for the Duhart Milon wines. The chais are located in Pauillac town and the property has a similar climate to that enjoyed by the Médoc: maritime, with the Gironde estuary and the Bay of Biscay combining to act as a climate regulator and the coastal pine forests sheltering the vines from the westerly and north westerly winds.
The Rothschild family acquired Château Duhart Milon in 1962. and since the acquisition, a lot of work has been done replanting and developing the vineyard, building new modern chais and cuvier, paying strict attention to the viticulture as to the vinificatiduhart-milon-1.jpgon. The vineyard covers 175 acres and is planted with 57% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Cabernet Franc, 21% Merlot and 2% Petit Verdot – which has always been traditionally planted at Duhart Milon.
The wine is made in the Rothschild house style, with plenty of haunting aromas of fresh black fruits intermixed with minerals, toasty oak, and spice. Château Duhart Milon's ruby red wines are full of finesse, suppleness and sophistication overlaying the typical Pauillac burliness.
Owner: Baron Eric de Rothschild (also owns Châteaux Lafite Rothschild, Duhart Milon, Rieussec, L'Evangile, Peyre Labarde and d'Aussières)
Château Website: www.lafite.com
Oenologist: Ch Chevallier